Terms & Conditions
GENEALOGICAL SERVICES AGREEMENT
Between (“The Client”) and ALISON TELFER T.A. Ancestral Roots Genealogy (“The Genealogist”)
This document describes the agreement between The Client and The Genealogist regarding this request for genealogical research and related services. If you agree with the terms herein, please sign this document, take a copy for your records, and return the whole document. This agreement will become effective after receipt of:
- a copy of this contract with your signature indicating acceptance of the terms herein;
- any background materials required.
The genealogy research services contracted shall include: reviewing information provided by the Client; formulation of a work plan; genealogical and related research; analysis of evidence; evaluation and where necessary translation/transcription of documents; a written report. The Genealogist will use their professional judgement to carry out the research in the most productive manner to achieve your goals. The Genealogist does not wish to duplicate work already performed, but there will be some necessary checking of information supplied by the Client if it seems that earlier researches are incomplete or incorrect or conclusions unjustified.
The report will include:
- a summary of successful and unsuccessful searches;
- where appropriate, pedigree charts, family group sheets and other charts or sheets to illustrate the research (which are summaries only and are not to be construed as evidence of the data summarized therein);
- evidence to support any conclusions (in the body of the report);
- negative findings and unsuccessful searches (which would normally be chargeable work)
- copies of documents (where permitted by copyright, licensing and/or other restrictions) and, where applicable, translations/transcriptions or abstracts of documents,
- recommendations for further research.
The Genealogist will always try to find primary and reliable sources. Where secondary sources are used, this will be made clear, and an assessment made of the reliance that may be placed on them.
Should it become clear at any point that little information is likely to be found, the Genealogist will inform the Client and discuss whether to end the research.
The Genealogist will send your report to you as quickly as possible, and within thirty days of research beginning. If it seems that the timescale must be extended, she will contact you to discuss this.
The Genealogist will discuss with you, at the outset, whether or not you wish to be told about potentially distressing or uncomfortable discoveries, such as:
- family events – illegitimacies, divorces, remarriages, adoptions
- court and legal events – arrests, imprisonments etc.
- medical – illnesses, causes of death (including murders and suicides) etc.
The Genealogist will not disclose details of living persons except in the following circumstances:
- where a previously-unknown living relative or other living person is discovered, we will contact you as the Client
- if agreed, and additional to this schedule of work, we will attempt to contact the person concerned and only if both parties agree, they will be put in contact with each other.
Fees and expenses
Travel expenses and costs for entry to Ayrshire or Glasgow archives as well as personal, telephone and/or e-mail consultations with the Client will be included in all research.
Travel time to and from Ayrshire or Glasgow archives will not be chargeable to the client.
An initial fee (50%) will be chargeable at the agreed fee per hour for an agreed number of hours, payable in advance. Should the Client require additional work, a suggested schedule of research and costs will be negotiated. Other charges will be billed on completion of each contracted stage of the project.
The charge for bespoke research will be £24 per hour.
Other fees and expenses shall be as follows:
- Costs of reasonable travel, entry fees to archives out with the Ayrshire and Glasgow area etc., postage, photocopying, printing, acquisition of photographs and documents, certificates, transcriptions, purchase of necessary books and/or CDs. We will check with the Client before incurring any significant expense on an item or service.
- Travel is charged at cost and at the second-class train or bus fare, or if by car, at 20p per mile.
- Photocopies are charged at 5p per A4 sheet, 10p per A3 sheet.
Please attach copies of original records for the person(s) or family of interest, including group sheets or charts, known dates and places of birth, marriage, and death and places of residence; other significant life events including occupations, military service, religious affiliation, information on siblings etc.; any copies of records (vital records, censuses, land records, church information etc.); a GEDCOM or Family Tree Maker file of the relevant genealogy (on CD or sent as an e-mail attachment).
The Client understands that the Genealogist cannot guarantee finding any person or person(s), family, or other information, and that the Genealogist cannot predict whether a search will be successful or unsuccessful.
Copyright and Future Use of Work Product
The Client becomes the owner of the report in its physical form. However, it remains the copyright of the Genealogist, and the Client must obtain the Genealogist’s express written permission to publish any part of the report in any format, printed or electronic.
The Client may make a small number of personal copies of the copyrighted report, but you agree that you will not otherwise publish or make multiple copies of the report without written permission. The Client further agrees that if limited distribution is made of any anything that includes the Genealogist’s research, in whole or in part, the Client will report it accurately and credit the source. All attributions, document footers and copyright statements must be retained in any copy made.
The Client should also be aware that the copies of any documents or other materials supplied with the report may be subject to third-party copyright and should not be reproduced or sold on in any way without the express written permission of the copyright holder. We will be happy to help the Client seek such copyright.
Code of Ethics
The Genealogist is a member of the Register of Qualified Genealogists and Association of Professional Genealogists and as such adheres to their code of ethics.
The applicable law relating to this agreement shall be the law of Scotland.
Return of this document.
The completed and signed copy of this document may be scanned and sent as an e-mail attachment, or by postal or courier delivery.
On agreement of research to be undertaken 50% of this cost will be required as a deposit. The remainder of the fee will be payable on completion of research and should be paid within thirty days of the date of invoice.